Thursday, January 13, 2011

why I write

The first piece I can recall writing was titled "Fito" and fittingly it was about a dog who was run over by a car . . .I was seven years old, and obviously my dog had just been run over by a car.  Before I knew what a creative outlet was, I used writing as a tool to better understand my emotions. 

My writing preferences have changed through the years as my life and interests have evolved.  I began with prose and storytelling which easily transcended into poetry and finally landing with lyrics. 

I write as a form of expression.  The ability to take feelings, emotions and thoughts and translate them into words is invaluable to me. 

I also write as a form of entertainment.  I enjoy the process of taking an idea and watching it come to life by the words I choose to emphasize the imagery and make the piece come alive.

I write as a form of communication.  Both internally and externally.  Sometimes I find that I can truly understand the way I feel and think if I just write it down. 

 A lot of times, my best writing combines all of these aspects together.  I enjoy academic writing, however that doesn't typically come from the heart.  My poetry, stories, songs, lyrics, and prose are all extensions of my heart and mind and that is where the beauty of being able to write really has the opportunity to shine . . .at least for me.

2 comments: